Brushes, keeping them clean all year round

Everyone has their own methods of keeping their makeup brushes clean. Theirs the easy version of getting the special shampoo for them and there are various youtube videos of how you can keep them clean at no expense.




Usually after a week of using my brushes they get filthy and nasty. At the end of week it's time for them to get a good wash. So I gather all of them (even the unused ones) and head off to the bathroom.



First round is using anti bacterial soap. This will ensure that all the nasty stuff collected on the brushes is gone! One round will usually do but two will also work given how bad they are.



Round two I then use coconut shampoo and conditioner. The soap will usually dry them which means prickly hairs (very uncomfortable). These will return all the moisture that were lost. Don't need a lot, about a penny sized amount.



Extra liquid squeezed out then all that's left is for them to dry. I never keep them, bristle up! It lets what little water that wasn't squeezed out to make it's way to glue. Over time the hairs start to come off. At one point the whole bottom part of one of my brushes came off (so lessoned learned). I keep them laying down on their sides.

Here's a tip! Don't have any of this then no worries. Go ahead and use fairy liquid! It works a treat. Just mix it with a small amount of olive oil or baby oil and that's a two in one.

How do you look after your makeup brushes?

15 comments

  1. Great tips! Ive recently posted on how to clean your brushes easily as well. I would really recommend the Sigma mini brush cleaning mat - its so good at getting deep into the brush head. lovely post k x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a great tip, I try to avoid using brushes as I didn't know how to clean them - now I do :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I loved reading this! You have a lovely set of brushes here, mine are all mismatched and need updating! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely use brushes as never really knew how to clean the properly, thank you for this, will start to use them more often now x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am awful at keeping my brushes clean it is something I really need to work on - so thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post :) I use IPA to spot clean my makeup brushes and fairy liquid to deep clean them xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brushes are full of make up so I definitely need to give them a good clean. I will keep these tips in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I either us baby shampoo or Dr Bronner soap to clean my brushes and both options work really well x

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the reminder! I do have to clean my brushes! and perhaps buy few new !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a good reminder. I am terrible about washing my brushes. I had an eye operation last year and did them all then. I am not sure I've done it since.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice for keeping brushes clean. I don't normally use brushes as i didn't know how to clean them, so thank you for sharing this because now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this post, I have recently done a video how I clean my make-up brushes and I am always curious to know what others do!

    Dominika

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use MAC brush cleaner and it's a god send! It removes even the toughest of foundations from my brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely need to get better at cleaning my makeup brushes! I usually leave them a month at a time before cleaning. This is a great reminder. Will try to be better with it, and hopefully this will help clear up my skin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one thing that I always put off! Thanks for the great reminder, plus how-to!

    ReplyDelete